[OFFICIAL POLL] Player Speed

Suggest and discuss new ideas for Dangerous Rays

What do you think of the player speed currently in the game ?

It is fine at the moment don't change it
48%
Player is too slow
48%
Player is too fast
3%

Total votes: 33

OldSnake
Dev Team
Dev Team

[OFFICIAL POLL] Player Speed

Post by OldSnake » Sat May 03, 2014 11:05 am

Hello,

What do you think of the current player speed in the game ?

Deman

Re: [OFFICIAL POLL] Player Speed

Post by Deman » Sat May 03, 2014 11:09 am

Feels right to me.

animaline

Post by animaline » Sat May 03, 2014 12:46 pm

I feel that going forward is a good speed, but when you move backward you should be WAYYYY slower (same goes when you go sideways)
I've never seen someone run that fast while going backward >< :-B

Rinrynque

Post by Rinrynque » Sat May 03, 2014 1:25 pm

I'm accustomed to STALKER games so the player seems waay too slow (but it's a good speed for realism, and it would be fine if player could get a bike later for example)

ToKamaK
Dangerous Rays Supporter
Dangerous Rays Supporter

Post by ToKamaK » Sat May 03, 2014 2:12 pm

At first I took the feeling of slowness on the gigantism of the map, but even in buildings like farms, our avatar seems rather slow. Maybe just a slight increase could make a difference (he should not run at 50km/h neither, like in good ole' doom-likes ;) ).

Otherwise, the whole system in place to handle the speed of the player seems rather accurate (walk - run - sprint + stamina). Of course if the game aims hyperrealism, then the current speed is quite accurate. But be careful to not kill the fun.

Nozfearatoo
Dangerous Rays Supporter
Dangerous Rays Supporter

Post by Nozfearatoo » Sat May 03, 2014 2:47 pm

I think player speed should stay like now. At the moment it seems slow 'cause the map is almost empty and running takes 99% of playtime. If there are more zombies, animals, buildings and other places of interest, there will be no need to run so much.

For example, DayZ Mod in its early state was pure running simulator, because there was not many loot-spots. Player spent a couple of minutes to check a village for loot and then ran again. Now in DayZ SA there is less running, more exploring.

So that's the point, if objects density encourages player to explore more than travel, there's no need to increase speed.
Last edited by Nozfearatoo on Sat May 03, 2014 3:01 pm, edited 3 times in total.

Applejaxc

Post by Applejaxc » Sat May 03, 2014 2:55 pm

The player is way too slow relative to the amount of stamina he has. There's the walk, the jog, and the sprint. The sprint is hardly any faster than the jog, but drains your energy immediately. The jog is barely faster than the walk, but allows you to escape zombies (which should be it's function).

Edarius

Post by Edarius » Sat May 03, 2014 3:35 pm

Agreed with Apple'
Please make the sprint a little bit faster or the stamina descreasing slower. Walk and jog are fine the way they are.
We shall talk about this again later. The game will drastically change with towns to explore, zombies to avoid and vehicles to move from one place to another !

Assenoff

Post by Assenoff » Mon May 05, 2014 3:15 am

The current speed feels right.
I have an odd observation, not sure if its just me imagining things ...
Climbing / going down stairs seems a bit faster? Zombies also move faster on the stairs. If the speed is the same, it should be slowed down.

MrThirsty

Post by MrThirsty » Thu May 08, 2014 6:21 pm

Edarius wrote:Agreed with Apple'
Please make the sprint a little bit faster or the stamina descreasing slower. Walk and jog are fine the way they are.
We shall talk about this again later. The game will drastically change with towns to explore, zombies to avoid and vehicles to move from one place to another !
Simply agreed